This crunchy Chilli Mushroom Avocado Toast makes for a perfect vegan snack or as a tasty substitute for breakfast or brunch. It is packed with essential micronutrients, easy & quick to make and mouthwateringly delicious!
This avocado toast recipe is a favorite of mine as it is so simple to make and surprisingly satiating.
Particularly when you’ve had the same breakfast over and over again, it is a great option which doesn’t compromise on taste or nutritional value.
Some variations of this recipe will call for garlic and onion. These are very tasty additions and can be appealing to include. However, I care about your personal life and a hit of garlic and onion right in the morning may cause problems for the day! The chilli will give you the spicy and flavorful kick you need to get the day started off right.
How healthy is Chilli Mushroom Avocado Toast?
With the combination of healthy and nutritious ingredients, this avocado toast recipe certainly packs a nutritional punch.
First off, let’s talk about the mushrooms.
And let’s not forget about the avocados. We all know avocados are a great source of healthy monounsaturated fatty acids and helps support cardio-vascular health . However they have also been shown to reduce total cholesterol significantly, reduce blood triglycerides, lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and increase HDL (good) cholesterol [6, 7, 8].
Combine all these benefits together and you’ve got a tremendously healthy snack on your hands! Keep on reading if you want a detailed breakdown of the micronutrient benefits (for which there are plenty).
Favourite Additions & Substitutions
With a toast recipe such as this, there are many ways you can change it up to suit your taste buds. Some of my favourite additions to this recipe are:
- Sautéed spinach
- Sesame Seeds
- Herbs – such as rosemary, sage, parsley or oregano
- Basil leaves
- Splash of vinegar when cooking the mushrooms (may be too strong for some in the morning)
You can also substitute the brown mushrooms with any other mushrooms you desire, such as white, king oyster, porcini or portobello mushrooms. They all work great!
Also when cooking the mushrooms, feel free to use a vegan butter in place of olive oil. You can never go wrong combining vegan butter with mushrooms!
Prep & Cooking Tips
- This recipe works great with any type of mushrooms. I choose brown mushrooms because they are readily available and one of the cheapest types of mushrooms you can buy. Additionally, they are also more commonly treated with UV light and have a higher Vitamin D content than regular mushrooms.
- I love to make my mashed avocado relatively simple with some spice and zest. However if you love a creamier avocado spread, you can also add in some tahini or non-dairy cream spreads to make it smoother.
- You may be tempted to cook the tomatoes together with your mushrooms. I would advise against this. When cooking both mushrooms and tomatoes together, there can be quite a lot of liquid excreted from both ingredients and makes for a mushy mess. If you do wish to have cooked tomatoes, I would cook these separately to avoid this issue.
- It is possible to make this recipe with any type of bread. My preference is always for a thicker & darker bread as types of white bread can absorb the avocado and mushrooms too much and again make for a mushy meal. Also darker breads are far healthier than whites, so your body wants you to make this choice too!
- As an Aussie, I can’t go past adding Vegemite with avocado – even in this recipe. Some will say that I’m clinically insane and I’ve flushed my money down a toilet by ruining my breakfast in such an absurd way. To those people, I would say you are missing out and you should give it a crack!
Looking For More Healthy Vegan Breakfast Options?
If you like this chilli mushroom avocado toast recipe, you might also like:
- Easy Vegan Scrambled Eggs
- The Best Vegan Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Berry and Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Vegan Chocolate and Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Vegan Berry and Banana Smoothie Bowl
Please feel free to check out all my vegan recipes here for more inspiration in the kitchen!
If you tried this vegan chilli mushroom avocado toast recipe and loved it as much as I did, please feel free to let me know by leaving a comment and a rating below. I also love seeing remakes of these recipes, so be sure to tag me @voach_thevegancoach and use the hashtag #voachrecipes if you post your creation on Instagram!
Never want to miss out on new amazing vegan recipes? Then be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest and sign up to my Newsletter below so you are notified when the next delicious and nutritious vegan recipe is up!
@Voach. All images and content are protected by copyright law. Please do not use any images without prior permission. For any republishing of this recipe, please kindly link back to this post.
*This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. You can find out more information here