You will want to be sure to try this vegan version of the incredibly delicious Indian curry recipe. It has an amazingly smooth velvety texture and is packed with plenty of flavour to satisfy your spicy, sweet and savoury taste buds. Best part – it is so easy to make and only takes 30 minutes! Perfect for any guest as this recipe is vegan, gluten free, soy free and nut free.
Vegan Mango Curry
As always, we provide you with amazingly hearty and nutritious vegan recipes, and this vegan mango “chicken” recipe is no different.
With the combination of quality spices and plant-based ingredients, you will have a nourishing, wholesome and healthy meal which is perfect for dinner and as leftovers (which is the best way to have curries, right?). It is also super easy, quick to make and full of protein – so it is a great recipe for showing off to your friends and family.
The secret of this recipe is obvious from the title. The Mangoes! They add so much flavour to this curry, it is no wonder why it is so popular around the world. However, not only are they flavourful, but really healthy too! Mangoes are a great plant source of vitamins A, B6 and C, folate and iron. So don’t hesitate adding more mangoes into your curry if you are as obsessed with them as we are!
Let’s get into the ingredients you’ll need for this mango curry recipe…
Vegan mango chicken curry recipe ingredients
This list of ingredients may look long, but it’s largely taken up by the Indian spices.
To make this vegan mango chicken, you’ll need:
- Onion, garlic and ginger: Staple ingredients for any Indian curry recipe. These ingredients give a superbly fresh aromatic base flavour to this mango curry. Furthermore, using all 3 ingredients together also provides a range of health benefits – such as boosting your immune system function, decreasing blood sugar levels and providing anti-inflammatory properties.
- Extra virgin olive oil: I always use a high quality extra virgin olive oil for this vegan mango chicken recipe as it provides a lovely grassy, peppery flavour that enhances the flavours of the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Fresh Mangoes: I find this mango curry recipe works best with fresh, ripe mangoes rather than frozen. It gives the curry sauce a sweeter, richer and smoother flavour and texture.
- Coconut milk: If you wish to make this mango curry recipe healthier and with less fat, choose low fat coconut milk. However, if you want a really rich and creamy mango curry sauce, definitely use regular thick coconut milk. FYI – I’ve found this vegan mango chicken curry recipe works great with either type of coconut milk.
- Indian curry spices – ground cumin, mild curry powder, mild chilli powder, turmeric and yellow mustard seeds: When combined together, these Indian curry spices form a uniquely spicy and complex flavour which complements the sweetness of the mangoes perfectly. These spices also provide a large range of health benefits.
- Vegan chicken pieces: There are an ever-growing range of different vegan chicken pieces available which you can experiment with this mango curry recipe. So if you try one you don’t like, don’t fret. Chances are the vegan chicken pieces you will love may be one step down the aisle! I enjoy adding these to this mango curry recipe to replicate the taste of the mango chicken curries that people grew up with and love, as well as boost the protein content. However this vegan mango curry recipe still tastes delicious even without these vegan chicken pieces!
Now let’s find out how to make this vegan curry!
How to make vegan mango chicken curry
You want to know how to make a vegan curry that tastes just like the restaurant versions which contain animal products. Well, you’ve come to the right place.
Let me show you how to make this vegan mango chicken curry for yourself! You’ll be surprised how easy it is 🙂
- First step is to sauté the onions, garlic and ginger with some extra virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. As these ingredients are sautéing, start to cook your vegan chicken pieces according to the package instructions.
- Then you will need to add in half the amount of the Indian curry spices and herbs, with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and mix together well so they’re blended evenly.
- Next, add in the coconut milk, mangoes and other half of the Indian curry spices and stir until mixed well (no spice clumps!). Bring the pot to boil before moving onto the next step.
- Now it’s time to blend it all together to make the vegan mango curry sauce! You can either use an immersion blender directly in the pot, or transfer the contents of the pot into a blender. Either way, blend the ingredients together until the texture becomes very smooth and velvety.
- Last step is to bring the pot to a simmering heat and add the vegan chicken pieces, some fresh mango chunks and any cooked vegetables you desire together with the curry sauce. Let this simmer for 3 minutes so the ingredients can get to know each other and then you’re done! Garnish with some fresh coriander, rice and vegan flatbreads!
Pro tips for making vegan mango chicken curry
Here are a couple of my top tips for this vegan mango curry recipe:
- Not necessary to use sugar for this vegan curry recipe: This might come as a surprise for those who’ve always added sugar to their mango curry recipes. However, I find that extra sugar isn’t necessary when using fresh, ripe mangoes. The mangoes already provide so much sweetness to the curry that extra sugar can actually overpower the other flavours of this curry.
- Only use fresh, ripe mangoes: You may have some half ripened mangoes lying around and be tempted to make this mango curry straight away. I wouldn’t blame you, it looks that damn good! But I would preach patience here. By waiting until the mangoes are fully ripened, you’ll be unlocking an irresistibly sweet flavour to your curry that will definitely be worth the wait.
What goes well with vegan mango chicken curry?
As with any good vegan curry, this mango curry goes perfectly with some steamed jasmine or basmati rice.
If you’re like me, you also need to have some flatbread by your side to soak up every last bit of the mango curry sauce! This can be a little tricky for vegans given that certain Indian flatbreads (like traditional Naan) have yogurt and sometimes butter included. You can always make a vegan naan with some plant-based yogurt as a replacement. Otherwise, you can opt for a more wholemeal style flatbread Roti or Chapatas which are more commonly vegan (always check the labels).
Lastly, can you resist having this vegan curry without Samosas or Pakoras? I certainly can’t. I’ve found these sides are, more often that not, also vegan and are a very tasty alternative to flatbreads to soak up the mango curry sauce!
And what wine goes with a vegan mango curry? My preference is to have dry, rich white wines which have a strong enough body to pair with creamy curry sauces like this one. I’ve found both chardonnay and riesling complement this vegan curry just perfectly. If you’re a fan of reds, try a cabernet sauvignon with this mango curry.
How long can I store vegan mango chicken curry?
This vegan mango curry can be stored in the fridge or freezer easily! It also works as well for meal prep as you can batch cook on the weekend and simply reheat to have this tasty mango curry on a weeknight in no time!
This vegan mango chicken curry can last well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
You can also freeze this mango curry for up to 1 month. To eat again, simply leave the mango curry out overnight to thaw and reheat the next day in a pot or microwave!
It is important to let the vegan mango curry completely cool off before putting into an airtight container and storing. This is in order to avoid contamination, as well as preserve the fantastic texture of the curry.
More healthy vegan dinner meals to try
If you like this vegan mango chicken curry recipe, you might also like:
- Vegan mushroom matar masala
- Vegan Thai red curry
- Vegan Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms
- Roasted tofu, veggies and chickpea wraps
- Creamy vegan cauliflower soup
- Healthy vegan chilli sin carne
- Vegan German Christmas dinner
Please feel free to check out all my recipes here for more vegan inspiration in the kitchen!
If you tried this vegan mango “chicken” curry recipe and loved it as much as I did, please feel free to let me know by leaving a comment and a rating below. I also love seeing remakes of these recipes, so be sure to tag me @voach_thevegancoach and use the hashtag #voachrecipes if you post your creation on Instagram!
Never want to miss out on new amazing vegan recipes? Then be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest and sign up to my Newsletter so you are notified when the next delicious and nutritious vegan recipe is up!
@Voach. All images and content are protected by copyright law. Please do not use any images without prior permission. For any republishing of this recipe, please kindly link back to this post.
*This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. You can find out more information here
Burnt the everloving f out of my mouth, tastes amazing though 🤣